July 14, 2010

shop dork



I've had my shop glasses for a bunch of years .. bought at this tool place that had some stuff there collecting dust since probably before the 60's. They reminded me of the ones we used to have to wear in shop class in middle school. Everyone bitched about how dorky they felt in them ..specially the girls in the class. But they were required and you'd get yelled at for even walking into the shop without them. It was like a class full of Buddy Hollies or in our case - Kevins. Because this one kid in our class named Kevin had regular glasses that looked exactly like this, minus the sides, you didn't have to wear the school issued versions if you already wore glasses.. so conseqently Kevin didn't look any different in the class. It was like when someone goes through chemo and his hair falls out and all his friends shave their heads in support so he doesn't feel out of place. We were all in support of Kevin ..sort of .. Kevin was kind of an asshole. I've ridden my bike at night sort of supporting Kevin.. but the sides screw up your peripheral vision so cars are able to creep up beside you without even seeing them.. not good when you go to change lanes.

11 comments:

jimmy monk said...

T, I need some of these.
Are there any more?

t said...

been a few years. last time I was at the place they were all gone.

all50before50 said...

Thanks for the chuckle this morning! I needed it.

BCM said...

These are the only style safety glasses I'll use.
I feel way more like a "Kevin" in the modern oakley wrap around style.
Ebay search "vintage safety glasses"

Neil said...

I'm always safe.

Rick said...

The Army used to issue these. They were called "Birth Control Devices". Cause you weren't ever gonna get laid while wearing 'em.

t said...

they just busted .. 3 dollars down the drain.

jimmy monk said...

Nice one T,
they are serial killer glasses.
if you wear these glasses and you use your middle name when you say your name especially if your middle name is Wayne.
Stop fucking about...
You're a serial killer!

t said...

they broke so I'm now I'm down to clear KD's

Jay said...

I have a collection of these.They're my riding glasses. Every time i get another pair first thing i do is cut the side shields off so you can see to your sides.

t said...

Phillips has a pair with light at night dark during day -photochromatic lenses.. used to use those till I broke them .. they weren't too expensive.. 30 bucks for real safety glass lenses.