April 28, 2010

3 speed


My early 70's Phillips 3 speed has been my around town bike for 15 yrs. Complete with original Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal hub. Fully equipped with one painful feature; when cable adjustment is off, the hub will freewheel forward while your applying pressure to the pedals. I've found myself kissing the pavement a few times because of this James Bond like ejector feature. I wonder if this was a cruel and diabolical British export only feature of the Nottingham made hub.

When the original British Raleigh was sold off. Sturmey Archer name and patents were bought by a Taiwanese company and the first thing they changed was the forward freewheeling rider jettison feature. God Save the Queen ...

3 comments:

tattered said...

i do love old sturmy archer hubs though.

David Bond said...

Wow, and the British have such a good track record for ease of use, Lucas, Amal, Jaguar etc. I'm trying to figure out a Sturmey-Archer 5-speed drum rear brake for my Schwinn DX, and it's not easy.

7point62 said...

I feel I must apologise on behalf of the people of Great Britain for any loss or injury incurred.

And no, it wasn't just the export ones that tried to kill the rider, my old three-speed could be spiteful too!

Enjoying the blog, btw.